Selected Topics-0023_Worldwide and Regional Markets for Fiber-optic Networks: Development Trends and Activities of Participating Companies in 2023
The deployment of FTTH accelerates in regional markets such as Europe, North America, and Southeast Asia. Hence, the major international companies involved in telecommunication, networking equipment, and semiconductor chips are now actively expanding into the market for fiber-optic infrastructure. Furthermore, in China, the qualification of technologies related to 50G PON and the development of FTTR are both gaining momentum. This, in turn, will increase shipments of fiber-optic equipment from Taiwan-based suppliers.
Table of Contents
1. Developments in Fixed Broadband Network
(1) Worldwide Trends in Development of Cable Modem, xDSL, and FTTx
2. Development of Fiber-optic Technology in Major Regional Markets
(1) US, Europe, Southeast Asia, and other Major Regional Markets
(2) Telecom Operators and Equipment Providers in Major Regional Markets Collaborate in Building
(3) Trends in Development of PON
3. Strategies of Key Players in Market for Fiber-optic Infrastructure
(1) Besides Focusing on Integration of PON-Related Technologies and Reducing Equipment Weight,
Manufacturers for Fiber-optic Hardware Also Actively Develop Hardware for 50G PON
(2) Chipmakers Are Keen on Developing Integrated Chip Solutions for PON as 10G PON Represents
Major Source of Revenue
(3) Opportunities for Taiwan-Based Companies
4. TRI’s View
(1) China Ramps up Expansion of FTTH and Actively Develops FTTR; Europe, US, and Southeast Asia
Also See Rapid Market Growth for FTTH, Resulting in Increase in Proportion of Users of Fiber-optic
(2) Telecom Operators Hasten Deployment of 10G PON and Collaborate with Major Equipment Providers
in Qualification of Hardware for 50G PON
(3) Demand for Fiber-optic Materials and Components Generates Growth Opportunities for Taiwan-Based
Companies; Working on Related Technologies Could Increase Overall Revenue
Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) is recognized in the industry as the most mature compound semiconductor material after silicon. It possesses superior characteristics such as high frequency, high electron mobility, high output power, low noise, and good linearity, making it one of the most important support materials for microwave radio frequency and optoelectronics.
In recent years, a surge in applications like 5G communications, autonomous driving, advanced displays, and AI has driven an increased demand for GaAs. Consequently, manufacturers are fully committed to capturing a significant share of this growing market.
The smartwatch market saw a downturn in 2023, which has significantly impacted strategies for 2024. Manufacturers are expected to adopt a conservative approach, focusing on incremental upgrades and diversification in R&D to align with market needs, with AI becoming a crucial tool in enhancing product and service offerings.
The VR/AR sector continues to struggle with a lack of compelling content and applications, which has stalled market growth and investor enthusiasm. In response, 2024 is set to witness a stronger emphasis on technological advancements to enrich content and broaden the commercial application of devices, spurring the development of essential upstream components.
Power semiconductors are the core of energy conversion and circuit control in electronic devices, playing vital roles in power conversion, amplification, switching, circuit protection, and rectification in electronic circuits. They are primarily used for altering voltage and frequency, as well as converting DC to AC in electronic devices. Power semiconductors have a key and extensive role in fields such as automobiles, industry, railway transportation, and power. As the new energy sector grows, particularly in solar energy and electric vehicles, power semiconductors such as IGBT and MOS are also becoming increasingly important in the realm of sustainable energy.
Research DirectorySemiconductor Research Display Research Optoelectronics Research Green Energy Research ICT Applications Research