Selected Topics-0022_Post-Pandemic Opportunities and Challenges in Global Notebook Computer Market during 2023
Global shipments of notebook (laptop) computers have been rising over the quarters since the start of 2023. Even if the total shipments for the year are comparable to the annual quantities that were seen before the COVID-19 pandemic, the shipment figure for 1Q23 is expected to represent a low point because the market already reached a consensus and has been focusing on inventory correction. However, the notebook computer market is a mature and stable, so shipments are going to gradually rebound from 2Q23 onward.
Presently, the related hardware and software companies are eager to demonstrate their capabilities and foster the growth of niche market segments. They and notebook computer brands are under pressure to develop strategies to address the fading of the upside demand that was generated by the effects of the pandemic. For each market segment, hardware and software companies are upgrading specifications in order to encourage device replacement and generational transition. The ultimate aim is change the current situation of limited growth.
Table of Contents
1. Global Notebook Computer Shipments: Review of 2022 and Outlook for 2023
(1) Quarterly Shipments during 2022: Seasonal Factors Failed to Take Effect, Resulting in QoQ Declines
(2) Quarterly Shipments during 2023: Seasonal Cycle Returns, Resulting in Gradual QoQ Increases
2. Analysis of Device Shipments in Three Major Segments of Global Notebook Computer Market during 2023
(1) Major Market Segments: Changes in Their Global Device Shipments in 2022
(2) Major Market Segments: Estimated Changes in Their Global Device Shipments in 2023
3. Trends in Display Technologies for Notebook Computers during 2023
(1) Estimated Penetration Rate of Device Models Featuring 16:10 Display in Global Notebook Computer
(2) Estimated Penetration Rate of Device Models Featuring OLED Display in Global Notebook Computer
4. TRI’s View
(1) Changes in Global Notebook Computer Shipments
(2) Chromebooks Are Major Growth Driver in 2023
(3) Gaming Notebook Computers Are Also Major Growth Driver in 2023
(4) Trends in Development of Global Market for 16:10 Notebook Panels
(5) Trends in Development of Global Market for OLED Notebook Panels
Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) is recognized in the industry as the most mature compound semiconductor material after silicon. It possesses superior characteristics such as high frequency, high electron mobility, high output power, low noise, and good linearity, making it one of the most important support materials for microwave radio frequency and optoelectronics.
In recent years, a surge in applications like 5G communications, autonomous driving, advanced displays, and AI has driven an increased demand for GaAs. Consequently, manufacturers are fully committed to capturing a significant share of this growing market.
The smartwatch market saw a downturn in 2023, which has significantly impacted strategies for 2024. Manufacturers are expected to adopt a conservative approach, focusing on incremental upgrades and diversification in R&D to align with market needs, with AI becoming a crucial tool in enhancing product and service offerings.
The VR/AR sector continues to struggle with a lack of compelling content and applications, which has stalled market growth and investor enthusiasm. In response, 2024 is set to witness a stronger emphasis on technological advancements to enrich content and broaden the commercial application of devices, spurring the development of essential upstream components.
Power semiconductors are the core of energy conversion and circuit control in electronic devices, playing vital roles in power conversion, amplification, switching, circuit protection, and rectification in electronic circuits. They are primarily used for altering voltage and frequency, as well as converting DC to AC in electronic devices. Power semiconductors have a key and extensive role in fields such as automobiles, industry, railway transportation, and power. As the new energy sector grows, particularly in solar energy and electric vehicles, power semiconductors such as IGBT and MOS are also becoming increasingly important in the realm of sustainable energy.
Research DirectorySemiconductor Research Display Research Optoelectronics Research Green Energy Research ICT Applications Research